Anil Gulecha wrote:
> On 12/13/07, David Dyer-Bennet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> What are the approaches to finding what external USB disks are currently
>> connected?
>> You can try 'rmformat' to see all removable media connected.

Ah, that's looking useful.  Thanks also to those who pointed out cfgadm.

Now, what's that "Label" reported by rmformat?  It's <unknown> in all
the examples I have to try.   Is this something I can set with rmformat
or fdisk or something?  So that I could recognize the volumes by a
string I applied to it myself?

Or are there serial numbers accessible on USB hard drives that I can get
access to?  That would be a unique identifier for each drive, and I
could store those and use those to recognize which ones were mounted.

>> Also try 'dmesg' after connecting the device.

That last doesn't fit my model, I'm looking to check for the presence of
various devices in a script run in cron, so the device may not have been
connected *recently*.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, [EMAIL PROTECTED]; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info