W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
>> What are the approaches to finding what external USB
>> disks are currently
>> connected?
>>

> What's wrong with
>
> $ iostat -En
>
> ?

There, I learned another thing. That's always good.

I don't immediately grasp how it's a good solution to my problem,
though.  It appears to be listing the removable drive under every drive
designation it's ever been connected as (which changes depending on
which USB port it's plugged in to and perhaps what else was also plugged
in at that time), so it doesn't give me a unique pointer to the drive.
It also doesn't give me any usable identifying information on the drive,
just the manufacturer and model (my system needs to handle two
*different* drives of the *same* model; in fact they're arriving
tomorrow).

So I've got c4t0d0p0, c5t0d0p0, and c5t0d0p0 all reporting a WDC
WD1600JB.  But that's really all the same drive.  And there's a serial
number field in the output, but it's blank in all three cases (if that
were filled in I could tell *which drive* it was).

--
David Dyer-Bennet, [EMAIL PROTECTED]; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info