On Sat, 29 Dec 2007, Steven Stallion wrote:

> Alan DuBoff wrote:
>> This is good to know. Although I haven't got a new system in quite some
>> time, and don't have any with Vista (most of my systems don't even have
>> windows on them;-). This could save me a lot of time/grief when I do run
>> across one.
>>
>> The one that gives me fits is the MacBook, I have boot camp on mine and
>> can't get the firmware upgraded (have followed the online page at Apple
>> for boot camp, but it didn't work for me to upgrade the firmware).
>
> +1
>
> I have had fits with my MacBook Pro as well. It seems that any time I
> attempt to resize my BootCamp NTFS partition (XP Pro) I end up bricking
> the entire partition table.

Steve,

I tried to create the bootable CD that was reccomended on the Mac webpage,
so upgrade the firmware, but have not been successful in several tries. I
keep getting an update notice for the newer firmware, but it always fails
to install.

I hate to have to reformat my MacBook just to upgrade the firmware from
1.1 to 1.2. Truth be told, I can function fine on Mac OSX, all I need is
wifi (which coincidentally always works for me) and I can ssh to my server
and have a true Solaris terminal, no VMs of any type, just a true Solaris
terminal.

> I've used GParted with a fair amount of success on other hardware - I
> wonder if the newer GUID partitioning scheme used with the intel mac's
> have something to do with it.

I think it has to do with how OSX handles the EFI lables possibly.

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 IHV/OEM Group