On Feb 5, 2008 12:49 PM, Erast Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 12:44 -0600, Shawn Walker wrote:
> > Thus, I stand by the claim that Nexenta, at the very least, is a fork.
>
> You deeply mistaken here. As far as OpenSolaris is concerned - Nexenta
> is NOT a fork. We share the same code base. The integration part of
> userland IS a bit different, but than again, even Solaris 10 Update4
> userland parts are differ from Solaris 10 GA, not even comparing to
> Nevada builds... And Nexenta provides switchable SUN/GNU personality,
> which allows as to run native Solaris applications and scripts when
> required.
>
> So, please be careful with your "analysis".. :-)

That's just it though; currently userland is part of ON. You have
diverged from ON's userland right?

If and when ips becomes integrated, you will also have a different
packaging system, right?

Nexenta is very different in many subtle ways already.

As I said before though, I don't believe Nexenta to be a *harmful*
fork; just a fork :)

If it was a win32 codebase project; I would call it a spoon ;)

But to me, as along as a project "seeks independent development",
especially with those changes never being re-integrated -- that's a
fork.

I don't understand why people just assume that there is a negative
connotation in classifying something as a fork.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben