On Feb 5, 2008 1:14 PM, Erast Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 13:08 -0600, Shawn Walker wrote:

> > > You deeply mistaken here. As far as OpenSolaris is concerned - Nexenta
> > > is NOT a fork. We share the same code base. The integration part of
> > > userland IS a bit different, but than again, even Solaris 10 Update4
> > > userland parts are differ from Solaris 10 GA, not even comparing to
> > > Nevada builds... And Nexenta provides switchable SUN/GNU personality,
> > > which allows as to run native Solaris applications and scripts when
> > > required.
> > >
> > > So, please be careful with your "analysis".. :-)
> >
> > That's just it though; currently userland is part of ON. You have
> > diverged from ON's userland right?
>
> No. You mistaken. We didn't change anything related to core libraries
> and applications. Changes only related to packaging but than again,
> packaging supposed to be changed, or otherwise what is the value behind
> any of distribution derivatives?

No, I am not mistaken. Just because you didn't change the existing
userland, but added to it, makes you divergent.

Remember that ON is a bundle of *all* the userland.

Perhaps it is a difference in viewpoint, if so, I still say it is divergent.

> > If and when ips becomes integrated, you will also have a different
> > packaging system, right?
>
> You mistaken again - SVR4 packaging is well supported (or at least we
> try to be compatible here) option for us. *And* it is NOT part of ON.

No I am not. IPS != SVR4 packaging.

I suspect IPS will eventually be part of ON. When that happens and as
SVR4 is phased out, that will make Nexenta very divergent in terms of
packaging.

> > Nexenta is very different in many subtle ways already.
>
> That is why many people loves us. We deliver something they want and
> asking us to deliver. We addressing segment of users which wants us to
> be as we are today.

...and I never said that wasn't a good thing. I'm just pointing out
that Nexenta is different.

You have differences in your base system compared to that of a base
Solaris Express system, etc.

> > As I said before though, I don't believe Nexenta to be a *harmful*
> > fork; just a fork :)
> >
> > If it was a win32 codebase project; I would call it a spoon ;)
> >
> > But to me, as along as a project "seeks independent development",
> > especially with those changes never being re-integrated -- that's a
> > fork.
> >
> > I don't understand why people just assume that there is a negative
> > connotation in classifying something as a fork.
>
> Its not that, it is just that not all people understand what ON fork
> really means. Just answer for yourself - is Indian a fork of OpenSolaris
> (i.e ON) ? Sound strange.. It is just yet another *derivative*

Since Indiana seeks to change Solaris itself; no. Especially since Sun
is the one primarily developing Indiana.

> distribution and delivers GNOME GUI on single CD on top of the same ON -
> that's all.

I stand by my claim that Nexenta is a fork.

I think it is a good fork, because it meets specific needs, but
nonetheless, a fork.

Nexenta has diverged from the core system; whether in configuration
changes, software patches, or otherwise.

It is different, and thus a fork.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben