On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Michael B Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:13:55 -0700
>  Alan Coopersmith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>  > Michael B Allen wrote:
>  > > But is there any way for a "civillian" to download Solaris 8 and Sun
>  > > Studio for free?
>  >
>  > Solaris 10 is the oldest version available for free download and use.
>  >
>  > > I assume Solaris 8 runs on both x86_64 and i386? Or do I have to use 10
>  > > to get x86_64 (for example)?
>  >
>  > Solaris 8 is circa-2000, long long before x86_64 - it may run on such a
>  > machine in 32-bit mode, but Solaris 10 (early 2005) was the first release
>  > to have 64-bit support on amd64/em64t.
>
>  Hi Alan,
>
>  So realistically / ultimately it sounds like I want the Solaris 10 5/08
>  free download?
>
>  I am very much a shell + vi type of person so I assume I should be able
>  to install the OS and Sun Studio without X? Or is one expected to have
>  one of those fan-dangled desktops?

You should always do a full install when installing Solaris 10. As
such, you'll get X, etc. However, vi is there (the original).

You don't have to use the graphical login if you don't want to, and
you can always use CDE if you prefer instead of GNOME.

--
Shawn Walker

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben