Thanks for all the great replies...

I was leaning towards staying with *BSD because of the better support for x86
hardware anyway, but we'll see how this project progresses...

It just seems to me like Sun is only trying to target a workstation based
platform for developers and not the server crowd (yet anyway)...

If I wanted a desktop development platform I'd go with a Linux distro...for
servers, I prefer FreeBSD...this project just piqued my interest because I
wanted to see how the Java performance would be (if there was any noticeable
difference at all) if I were to use this as a production server platform...

I guess time will tell...