Hi,

I read that as meaning he had Nevada builds (snv, not svn) - probably
the Community or Developer releases, as you say - which are based on the
System V pkgadd format, and as you say come on DVD.  OpenSolaris as a
source idea, similar to Solaris 10 and the earlier commercial releases.
  The pkg command works with the new OpenSolaris as a distribution idea,
using the new IPS/pkg format, which is quite different.

Until 2008.05 came out, I was running Nevada on both my laptop and my
Ultra 20.  I now have OpenSolaris (the distro) on my laptop and Nevada
on my Ultra 20, mostly to be able to compare, but OpenSolaris is so much
nicer, that wont last for long.

When Sun (for whom I work) decided on using the OpenSolaris for our own
distribution, as well as for the source code release, this kind of
confusion was bound to happen =O(

Matt, to upgrade Nevada to another Nevada build, you boot the DVD and
select Upgrade from the menu system there.  It's well tested.  Or you
can build a network upgrade system.  Or you can back up all your data,
do a fresh install from an OpenSolaris 2008.xx CD, copy your data back,
and move on with ZFS boot, better boot environment management, and pkg.
  That was fairly painless for me.  pkg is then your means of further
upgrades, but that isn't quite as painless yet.  You do however get a
ZFS snapshot of the old system to go back to if it messes up, right
there in your grub menu automatically, so it's not a disaster, either.
And so far people have had only small problems with such upgrades (see
the forums).

Ta,
Mark.