If someone wanted to make a really great set of system tools for
Solaris, then why not base it on something like the old Sun
Management Center and use SNMP.  Then, you can start supporting
the sorts of hardware monitoring and reporting that SNMP provides
and extend it.  Further SNMP is designed to work over the network
so its easier to write tools for remote monitoring and management,
not just the single machine.  I remember that Sun Management Center
even had "probes" so that you could securely run arbitrary commands
(for system management purposes).

Would it be interesting if the old Sun Management Project were
released to the open so that a community could develop around it?
With a healthy community of developers to help port the agent to
work on other platforms, it would actually be a pretty useful tool.
In my opinion, its main limitation was the fact that the agent
really only worked with Solaris, but there's no real technical
reason the agent couldn't be ported to other platforms.  Most
people have networks with a variety of different platforms, so
a tool that only works on Solaris isn't as competitive as
programs like Tivoli or HP-OpenView which don't support Solaris
as well, but have reasonable support of many platforms.

Brian