Peter:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Brian Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> If someone wanted to make a really great set of system tools for
>> Solaris, then why not base it on something like the old Sun
>> Management Center and use SNMP.
>
> SunMC? Which version?

To be honest, I'm not sure.  I worked on the Sun Management Center
project from 1999-2001.  Version 3.0 was the last version I worked
with, but I haven't really kept up with the state-of-the-art much
since then.  It wouldn't surprise me if there are other, better tools
to also consider.

>> Then, you can start supporting
>> the sorts of hardware monitoring and reporting that SNMP provides
>> and extend it.  Further SNMP is designed to work over the network
>
> I actually find snmp rather limited; I'm planning on having a system where
> all telemetry (kstats and the whole kitchen sink) is remotely accessible.

SNMP can be extended, of course, which is how Sun Management Center
provided a great deal of functionality that isn't normally supported
with vanilla SNMP.  I think the advantage of SNMP is that a lot of
devices already support SNMP, so you can get a lot of remote system
information via the protocol for free.

> For monitoring like that, would you want SunMC or Zabbix/Nagios/whatever?

I am not familiar with Zabbix or Nagios, so I can't really say.  Perhaps
someone more familiar could chime in.  I was just trying to suggest that
Sun has already invested a lot of energy in projects like Sun Management
Center, and that perhaps making these sorts of projects more open might
bring new life to more sophisticated remote network admin/monitoring
on Solaris.

Brian