Hi Alan,

Many thanks for share X.org issues here. I added your comments or
supplementary in this report.

Two issues are left not added because I do not understand them well.
- Needing to add -R flags to pkgconfig *.pc files & Makefiles for
finding runtime libraries that aren't in /usr/lib
- Adding checks for Sun Studio's __i386__, __amd64__, & __sparc__
defines everywhere the code checks for gcc's __i386, __amd64, & __sparc
defines

Would you describe the above two issues with following format and add
them into the report?
* <Description>
** Solution: <bla bla bla>
** (optional) bugid

You're free to edit this page.

Thanks,
Halton.

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 07:55 -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Some additional notes from our work on X.Org code:
>
> - No support for GCC options: -Wall/-Werror/-Wl
>
>   - Your sample patch just removes -Wall - the code integrated into
> X.Org upstream checks for the compiler in a configure macro to set
> either -vfor Sun Studio or the -W flags for gcc:
Added in as X.org Solution.

> - MMX/SSE intrinsic functions are not compatible
>
>   - We hit this issue in X a while ago, and filed CR 6224421 with the
> compilers for it, which though closed as duplicate of another bug,
> they never fully addressed, and chose to remain at least partially
> incompatible with gcc in the type definitions in a way that breaks the
> Xorg MMX code.
>     Our solution was to build the code that used it (the Xorg server)
> with gcc on x86, since the performance increase of being able to use
> the MMX code was significant.   (This code has since moved to
> libpixman, so we may be able to move Xorg server back to Sun Studio
> builds soon.)
Added in as X.org Solution.

> - No definition for _FUNCTION_
>
>   - You give workarounds that use glib's G_STRFUNC or use Sun Studio
> express.
>     Our solution for non-glib code for Studio 12 is simply to use the
> C99 equivalent version that Studio 12 already supports - for instance,
> in Mesa:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/src/mesa/main/glheader.h#n288
Added in as X.org Solution. These patches can be removed soon since SS12
support it.

> Other things we've had to fix that I didn't see in your list:
> - No support in Sun compilers for gcc's __builtin_expect
Added under "Sun Compiler" category.

> - No support for gcc's __volatile keyword.
Added under "Sun Compiler" category.

> - Functions to get the name of the running program
Added under "Kernel and Libc Functions" category.

> - Different headers/names for byteswapping macros.
Added under "Different Header Files" category.