So I downloaded the CD and installed it perfectly on a VMware guest; I got the
live CD mode and then I clicked on the install icon and everything just worked.
Then I tried to install natively on an Acer AM5640 PC. The CD booted as
expected but instead of going into the live CD GUI then I get the following
text output:

SunOS Release 5.11 Version snv_101b 64-bit
Copyright blah
Use is subject blah
Hostname: opensolaris
Remounting root read/write
Probing for device nodes ...
Preparing live image for use
Requesting System Maintenance Mode
(See /lib/svc/share/README for more information.)
Console login service(s) cannot run
Enter user name for system maintenance (control-d to bypass):

If I press ctrl-d then it just goes back to the 'Requesting System Maintenance
Mode' and asks for the user name again.

If I enter user name 'root' password 'root' then I can login but what now? It
says:

single-user privilge assigned to root on /dev/console.
Entering System Maintenance Mode
Mar 16 12:54:54 su: 'su root' succeeded for root on /dev/console
-bash: /usr/sbin/quota: No such file or directory
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.11     snv_101b        November 2008
-bash: /bin/mail: No such file or directory
-bash: /usr/bin/hostname: No such file or directory
root@:~#

What now? If I try and 'cat' the file /lib/svc/share/README then there is no
way to page through it (less etc is not available) and therefore I can only
read the very end of the file which seems to be unhelpful regarding my install
problems... :-(

Why is the live CD not booting into its GUI?