Octave Orgeron writes:
> Now putting all that info into uname would just complicate life for everyone
> and break all sorts of stuff. As such, uname is for very high-level info and
> isainfo is for detailed.

Exactly.  Putting detailed processor information into uname is not
only unnecessary, but it breaks backward compatibility by forcing
people who are depending on uname output (often inside of 'configure'
scripts) to deal with new and unexpected responses from the system.

When we've done this in the past, it's been to add support for a new
processor or system family, and not when we've just added support for
yet another variant of an existing processor.

Breaking existing code can sometimes be the only answer, but it'd
better be for a really good reason.  I'm not sure that merely
disliking "i386" as shorthand for "all Intel and AMD x86 compatible
CPUs" is enough of a reason to make ./configure fall over and die.

--
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <james.d.carl...@sun.com>