> Octave Orgeron writes:
>> Now putting all that info into uname would just complicate life for
>> everyone and break all sorts of stuff. As such, uname is for very
>> high-level info and isainfo is for detailed.
>
> Exactly.  Putting detailed processor information into uname is not
> only unnecessary, but it breaks backward compatibility by forcing
> people who are depending on uname output (often inside of 'configure'
> scripts) to deal with new and unexpected responses from the system.
>
> When we've done this in the past, it's been to add support for a new
> processor or system family, and not when we've just added support for
> yet another variant of an existing processor.
>
> Breaking existing code can sometimes be the only answer, but it'd
> better be for a really good reason.  I'm not sure that merely
> disliking "i386" as shorthand for "all Intel and AMD x86 compatible
> CPUs" is enough of a reason to make ./configure fall over and die.

The only thing that could safely be added to uname is perhaps the OS name
just like GNU uname :

$ uname --version
uname (GNU coreutils) 7.2
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

Written by David MacKenzie.
$ uname -a
SunOS mimas 5.8 Generic_117350-61 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2 Solaris

$ /sbin/uname -a
SunOS mimas 5.8 Generic_117350-61 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2

Even so, I don't see what the value is there.

Can anyone tell me what OpenSolaris reports for GNU uname ? Does it say
Solaris or OpenSolaris or something else?

Also, one parameter that I expect to work is the capital X :

$ uname -X
uname: invalid option -- X
Try `uname --help' for more information.

Which doe work with UNIX uname :

$ /sbin/uname -X
System = SunOS
Node = mimas
Release = 5.8
KernelID = Generic_117350-61
Machine = sun4u
BusType = <unknown>
Serial = <unknown>
Users = <unknown>
OEM# = 0
Origin# = 1
NumCPU = 1

Now that I think about it, messing with uname serves no purpose at all.

Dennis Clarke