> Octave Orgeron writes:
> > Now putting all that info into uname would just
> complicate life for everyone and break all sorts of
> stuff. As such, uname is for very high-level info and
> isainfo is for detailed.
>
> Exactly.  Putting detailed processor information into
> uname is not
> only unnecessary, but it breaks backward
> compatibility by forcing
> people who are depending on uname output (often
> inside of 'configure'
> scripts) to deal with new and unexpected responses
> from the system.
>
> When we've done this in the past, it's been to add
> support for a new
> processor or system family, and not when we've just
> added support for
> yet another variant of an existing processor.
>
> Breaking existing code can sometimes be the only
> answer, but it'd
> better be for a really good reason.  I'm not sure
> that merely
> disliking "i386" as shorthand for "all Intel and AMD
> x86 compatible
> CPUs" is enough of a reason to make ./configure fall
> over and die.
May be fears are exaggerated? I have Debian amd64 server with tons of various
services at my office and uname -p shows me "unknown" (this is bug in Debian
and Ubuntu) but I successfully make all programs that I needed.  It seems to me
that anything terrible would not occur if the uname -p produced the x86_64
output on machine with 64-bit cpu.
Nevertheless, looking through internet I found the same discussions for linux
and some *bsd and looks like thus not only solaris question. Well, will waiting
for next generation cpu.

Regards,
Alex