Following are the ways that I know of to install the applications on
OpenSolaris from end-users perspective:

1. Install from the package repository by "Package Manager Web
Installer". Go to http://pkg.opensolaris.org/release/en/index.shtml and
search the packages you want to have. Take "openoffice" for example, it
will take you to
http://pkg.opensolaris.org/release/en/search.shtml?token=openoffice&action=Search.
There is an "Install" column and just click "Install" beside package
"openoffice". Choose "Package Manager" to open and choose "proceed" can
install OpenOffice on your box.

2. Install with Package Manager GUI. On up-left of your desktop, choose
"System"->"Administration"->"Package Manager". Search for "openoffice",
select the corresponding checkbox and click "Install/Update".

3. Install with pkg Command line:

% pfexec pkg install openoffice

BTW, the files with extensions .hqx and .dmg should be specific for MacOS.

-Alfred