Call me old fashioned but I like having things installed as packages
and not via a tarball. IPS delivers software with far more fine grained
control and intelligence than a tarball ever did.

When I try to install using StudioExpress-sol-x86-2009-03-pkg.sh in a
non-global zone I get no progress report and no install.

In fact, I get nothing at all but a few bits and pieces in /opt/SSX0903

Someone somewhere figured that it made sense to need X to install the
Studio Express software and thus there is no *easy* way to perform a text
based or console install on a server.

What do I see ?  I see this :

# cd /opt
# chmod a+x StudioExpress-sol-x86-2009-03-pkg.sh
# ./StudioExpress-sol-x86-2009-03-pkg.sh --silent

It finishes silently.

Only one package is installed :

# ls -lt /var/sadm/pkg | grep "Jun\ 11" | awk '{ print $9 }' | xargs
pkginfo | grep Ceres
application SPROcmpl.3  Sun Studio Ceres C++ Complex Library

I am now stuck having to pkgrm that.

Are there other options ? The --silent is hardly a valid replacement for
-nodisplay in Studio 12 and Studio 11.

Also, as a funny comment, I am trying to install Ceres on zone named orcus
within global host phobos. If you see why that is funny then you are a
real astronomy geek.

Dennis