On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 9:22 PM, Dennis Clarke<dcla...@blastwave.org> wrote:

> Call me old fashioned but I like having things installed as packages
> and not via a tarball. IPS delivers software with far more fine grained
> control and intelligence than a tarball ever did.

You're old-fashioned :-)

Both packaged and unpackaged software have their place. I use unpackaged
software a lot - it allows me to simply have dozens of versions of things on a
fileserver and randomly pick and choose. I'm not interested in managing what's
inside any instance of a given piece of software, which is where packaging comes
into play. Sometimes you just want the thing to be dumb.

Software integrated with the OS is packaged; no doubt about that though.

--
-Peter Tribble