Its [url=http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index2.html]official page[/url] actually
has a link for Solaris, which points to the page for
[url=http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-sources.html]the source code[/url],
unfortunately.

The official VLC Web site claims that Solaris is supported: "For the other
operating systems supported, there are no precompiled binaries. You will have
to get the source code for VLC and its required libraries and build them
yourself". There is a page with instructions for
[url=http://wiki.videolan.org/UnixCompile]compiling for Unix[/url]. Compiling
VLC requires first having the necessary libraries. "If your distro is really
bad and doesn't provide the libs, no -dev or -devel packages", the instructions
suggest "using the contribs system in VLC's sources". As far as I'm aware, this
option is relatively new.

Anyway, on my 2009.06 OpenSolaris system, with /usr/gnu/bin at the head of my
PATH, when I follow the instructions and try make, I run into the following
error:

i386-pc-solaris2.11-gcc -std=gnu99
-I/export/home/me/Download/software/src/vlc-1.0.0/extras/contrib/include
-DNDEBUG -isystem
/export/home/me/Download/software/src/vlc-1.0.0/extras/contrib/include -o
.libs/msgcmp msgcmp-msgcmp.o
-L/export/home/me/Download/software/src/vlc-1.0.0/extras/contrib/lib
./.libs/libgettextsrc.so
/export/home/me/Download/software/src/vlc-1.0.0/extras/contrib/src/gettext/gettext-tools/gnulib-lib/.libs/libgettextlib.so
 -lcroco-0.6 -lglib-2.0 -ltermcap
/export/home/me/Download/software/src/vlc-1.0.0/extras/contrib/lib/libiconv.so
-lc  -R/export/home/me/Download/software/src/vlc-1.0.0/extras/contrib/lib
acl_trivial
/export/home/me/Download/software/src/vlc-1.0.0/extras/contrib/src/gettext/gettext-tools/gnulib-lib/.libs/libgettextlib.so
ld: fatal: symbol referencing errors. No output written to .libs/msgcmp
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[6]: *** [msgcmp] Error 1

I have SUNWgnu-gettext installed. Googling "acl_trivial undefined" produced the
following thread on the Videolan forums from last January:
[url=http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=55185&start=0]./bootstrap
not working OpenSolaris 2008.11[/url]. The Videolan people are helpful in that
thread, but the upshot is that the GNU tools and libs on OpenSolaris are simply
too broken for compiling VLC not to be a major undertaking.

It's very sad that this situation has not changed with osol 2009.06. If the
developers of osol are not going to provide binaries of such a basic program as
VLC because of intellectual property issues, the least they could do is bring
the GNU tools and libs into sufficient working order for VLC to compile.