Thanks very much for your patient reply. Yes, of course, it makes sense that
since osol is not natively a GNU system, its GNU libraries will be arranged
differently than on GNU/Linux systems, which means that scripts to build
applications will often need to be written differently for it.

My main "Angst" at this point is directed at people who managed to compile VLC
for Solaris who didn't make what they did to do so publicly available, as one
expects from people involved in open source projects. They should also have
submitted patches to the VLC developers, which they did not do, as far as I can
tell.

The only thing I think that one can hold against the VLC people is that they
advertise VLC 1.0.0 as "supporting" OpenSolaris. It's perfectly understandable
that VLC developers want to concentrate their energies on the most common
platforms, so that it's not their responsibility to get the VLC code to compile
under OpenSolaris. But if it doesn't, they shouldn't claim that it supports
OpenSolaris.