On Friday 10 July 2009 06:44:02 Alex Viskovatoff wrote:
> Shawn Walker wrote:
>
> (I understand that if code gets sufficiently close to machine
> level, then the code must be modified to work on a different OS.
> (For example, I've ported SBCL (Steel Bank Common Lisp) from x86
> Solaris to AMD64 Solaris.) But with something like VLC, if it only
> uses x.org interfaces as opposed to trying to access the hardware
> directly, if one knows it compiles under Fedora for example,
> shouldn't it be as easy to compile under OpenSolaris as under
> OpenSUSE, for example?)

for speed reasons there IS a lot of ASM optimized routines in the
single decoders, although the decoders are part of ffmpeg (that is
embedded in vlc) rather than in vlc itself. But the major problem is
not with optimized with ASM routines: most of the times it's with the
messy mixture of glu and sun binutils (as, ld and friends), with the
reliance on on glibc rather than on libc and so on.
I've been developing mplayer for many years and occasionally trying to
fix mplayer for Solaris, but every time I retried to compile a fresh
svn checkout Solaris was lacking in a different manner, so I simply
gave up.