On Aug 19, 2009, at 12:01 PM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

i understand that the SXCE binary downloads are going away .. (just
wondering if I need to transition to a private build system until some
of the IPS smoke clears)

No, you need to transition to working with IPS.   There are internal
presentations on this, but they emphasize that we're not treating
internal & external developers differently here - we're stopping the
old-WOS production/release for everyone at the same time.

okay .. i understand this .. so with that in mind - here's some of my fundamental operational issues i currently have with the IPS transition (cross-posting to pkg-discuss .. *sorry*)

(1) Slowness .. (don't get me wrong - it's gotten better) .. [pkg defects 1949, 5225, 10706] just as a quick point of reference to SVR4 for some common tasks i just ran on my eeepc (Atom, 2GB memory, etc)

See what's installed:
1.460s          - time pkginfo
28.477s         - time pkg list

Find a locally installed package given a file:
0.007s          - time grep foo /var/sadm/install/contents
0.448s          - time pkgchk -l -p /usr/bin/foo
52.585s         - time pkg search -l foo
/* ok .. so i should really rebuild the index - 690 files */

4m 20.097s      - time pkg rebuild-index
8.496s          - time pkg search -l foo

(2) Decent pre/post-install methodologies:
I do understand the desire to containerize this sort of thing within SMF, but i do not believe that there is a current mechanism defined to start/stop SMF services around a package installation .. also somewhat problematic for driver installs, or device rebuilds

(3) Problems when 2 packages might claim the same file, link, or may depend on the same configuration file .. [pkg defects 3822, 1820, 2369, 3849, 3920, 3925, 9005, 9294]

(4) No formal standalone package format defined .. [pkg enh 2152, 7067]

----
ok .. so I've got a pretty good understanding of python, C, storage, filesystems and the like .. have built large installation and deployment systems for many customers, worked with a variety of package installers and methodologies over the years (and even built a few of my own) - i'd be happy to help prototype or possibly redesign some of the above .. how can I help? or rather - where don't you need help?

---
.je