Hello, then you see only part of the overall picture.
Can't OpenSolaris offer something on the Desktop and continue to be a
good server OS at the same time?

A modern server OS *needs* a fancy GUI in order to survive. And it
needs GUI tools to administer Enterprise features.

Also, would you call upcoming AI a "desktop feature"?
And the text installer under development right now?
Or ha-cluster software? Or hp-cluster?

It SMF a "desktop" feature? Or is ZFS?

On http://mail.opensolaris.org/ you find an overview of what
OpenSolaris consists of. Desktop is just a small piece in the puzzle,
even though it is the most visible one.

p.s. Get hold of the OpenSolaris Bible:
http://www.amazon.com/OpenSolaris-Bible-Wiley-Nicholas-Solter/dp/0470385480/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252549367&sr=8-1

You will always have it as reference on your Desk, I'm sure of this.
Excellent reading. (Almost too) cheap price.

Cheers,
Martin Bochnig