On 10/09/2009, at 1:41 PM, Gary Bainbridge wrote:

It seems a lot of questions about opensolaris are directed at using it as a desktop (firefox and mplayer for example). Opensolaris is supposed to be a precursor to the next Enterprise Solaris but directing efforts at desktop features seems misguided. Solaris has always been a server OS not a desktop and I would like to see the efforts spent making Opensolaris a solid enterprise server, not a desktop OS.

I think you need to do both actually. Just because a bunch of people are working on desktop related projects, doesn't mean there's not a significant number of people working on server based projects - a look through the various putback logs to ON is clear validation that there's a lot of server oriented features going back with each and every build.

What I will say is that for some, the first experience of OpenSolaris (and hopefully Solaris Next) will come through desktop. Yes, that's getting a LiveCD sent to them free or charge and installing it on bare metal on their laptop or through Xen or VirtualBox so they can do a basic evaluation of the OS. A good user experience there will reduce the barriers to adoption in the enterprise space IMO.

Different audiences, but both equally valid IMO.

Glynn