Okay so now I have managed to set the Virtual resolution, but I seem
unable to have the two monitors in any mode expect cloned - if I
change this via the Display Preferences app, xrandr or xorg.conf then
one of the monitors seems to just switch off!

So to recap, I have generated an xorg.conf

$ pfexec svcadm disable gdm
$ xorg -configure
$ pfexec mv xorg.conf.new /etc/X11

Added Virtual to the Display SubSection, so that my display SubSection
now looks like this -

SubSection "Display"
   Viewport 0 0
   Depth 24
   Virtual 2560 1024
EndSubSection

$ pfexec svcadm enable gdm

That allowed me to adjust the settings using Display Preferences app
and xrandr but whenever I set one monitor to be on the left of the
other, that monitor just seems to switch off :-(

I also tried some additional modifications to enforce the left and
right xorg.conf -

Added a second Monitor section -

Section "Monitor"
        #DisplaySize      340   270     # mm
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "DEL"
        ModelName    "DELL 1704FPT"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 81.0
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 76.0
        Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        #DisplaySize      340   270     # mm
        Identifier   "Monitor1"
        VendorName   "DEL"
        ModelName    "DELL 1704FPT"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 81.0
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 76.0
        Option      "DPMS"
        #Option "LeftOf"        "Monitor0"
EndSection

Added these Options to the device section -

Option  "monitor-DVI-0" "Monitor0"
Option  "monitor-DVI-1" "Monitor1"

I tried this with both the Monitor1 "LeftOf" option enabled and
disabled. It made no difference, unless the monitors are cloned then
one seems to switch off.

Any ideas? Rather sadly this is a desktop machine at Work and so I
cant play with this ad-infinium, I need to get this sorted in the next
few days ideally - otherwise I may be forced to go back to WinXP :-((

--
Adam Retter

skype :adam.retter
http://www.adamretter.org.uk