Jensen Lee wrote:
> Certainly I want to keep using my Sun Blade. Will Sun next commercial release
> of Solaris at least support the legacy 3D Labs cards?

Solaris 10 is the last release of Solaris planned to support those cards.

> And by the way, due to this mess with OpenSolaris, I do not think I will ever
> buy Sun hardware in the future. But most importantly, being a professional, I
> will refrein from advising anyone to buy Sun hardware. I used to recommend it
> as an investment ... what a shame! No wonder why Sun is loosing money.
> Professionals like me have lost confidence in the company.

Because like every other computer company in the world, including Sun for
the past 25 years, hardware is not supported forever and at some point you
must choose between hardware upgrade or software upgrade?   Those cards
from Sun will have OS support a lot longer than most of their contemporary
video cards, and even a lot longer than some of Sun's older graphics drivers.

I doubt you'll find any vendor who'll promise the video card you buy today
will be supported in new OS versions coming out ten years from now.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersm...@sun.com