> >> run

> files"

> surprised
> >> that there is no ability to install from local
> files
> >> as we approach for 4th release. On the face of it,
> it
> >> would seem an easy thing to add. I guess if I
> really
> >> needed it I could add it myself.
> >>>

> >> It isn't as trivial to add it as it might seem at
> >> first glance, which is why it didn't get done for
> >> this release.  It was originally planned, but
> there
> >> has simply been been too much else needed for this
> >> release (2010.x).  There was significant
> foundational
> >> or higher priority work that had to be done first.
> >>
> >> The pkg(5) project is now at a point where new
> >> subsystems require significant planning and
> analysis.
> >> An on-disk format is something that once added has
> >> to remain relatively stable.  As such, any formal
> >> introduction of it has been purposefully delayed
> >>   ensure that there is as little pain as possible.
> >> Please remember that the needs of the pkg(5)
> system
> >> are primarily driven by what is required to
> deliver
> >> OpenSolaris and the project is still in the
> process
> >> of addressing user needs.
> >
> > I haven't looked at the code but I was kind of
> assuming that I wouldn't need to implement an on-disk
> format - just replace code to suck files off the
> network with code to fetch them off disk. However, I
> have absolutely no knowledge of how any of it
> actually works. ;-)
> >
> > Thank you for the clarification about what stage
> the development of IPS is at.
> >

> I will just add that we have built experimental media
> that included a
> repository and hacked up an installer that could
> install from that
> repository.  The performance was not usable (6+ hour
> install times, as I
> recall), because the performance of random access to
> files (which is
> what happens in reading from the repository) on
> stream-oriented media
> like DVD's is hideously bad.

That's interesting - I guess you do need an on-disk format for that. There are
two obvious use cases for a file-based package: 1 is to do an OS install, the
other is to just add packages to a system after you download them. It is
sometimes quicker to download a tarbar and install it than it is to use pkg to
suck each seperate file over the network. The obvious example is the SUNWman
package.

Cheers

Andrew.