On 01/ 5/10 06:12 AM, andrew wrote:

On Jan 3, 2010, at 6:53 AM, andrew wrote:

On 01/ 1/10 10:36 AM, andrew wrote:
Sorry - my mistake. Still looking for ability to
install from local files though. ;-)

You can do that now as long as you're willing to
run
a depot server
(which is a very light-weight easy to start/run
process).

However, if you're wanting to install "from files"
without running a
depot server, that's still work in progress.

Thanks for the info. However, I am still surprised
that there is no ability to install from local files
as we approach for 4th release. On the face of it, it
would seem an easy thing to add. I guess if I really
needed it I could add it myself.

It isn't as trivial to add it as it might seem at
first glance, which is why it didn't get done for
this release.  It was originally planned, but there
has simply been been too much else needed for this
release (2010.x).  There was significant foundational
or higher priority work that had to be done first.

The pkg(5) project is now at a point where new
subsystems require significant planning and analysis.
An on-disk format is something that once added has
to remain relatively stable.  As such, any formal
introduction of it has been purposefully delayed to
  ensure that there is as little pain as possible.
Please remember that the needs of the pkg(5) system
are primarily driven by what is required to deliver
OpenSolaris and the project is still in the process
of addressing user needs.

I haven't looked at the code but I was kind of assuming that I wouldn't need to
implement an on-disk format - just replace code to suck files off the network
with code to fetch them off disk. However, I have absolutely no knowledge of
how any of it actually works. ;-)

Thank you for the clarification about what stage the development of IPS is at.

I will just add that we have built experimental media that included a repository and hacked up an installer that could install from that repository. The performance was not usable (6+ hour install times, as I recall), because the performance of random access to files (which is what happens in reading from the repository) on stream-oriented media like DVD's is hideously bad.

Dave