For me, snv_129 was the last version of OpenSolaris that I was able to install
into a usable system from the live CD. I'm starting to really like the
stability of 129 so far and I think I'm going to freeze there and wait until
newer OpenSolaris has the ability to actually install from the LiveCD and boot
up into a useful operating system before I try anything later.

Another possible solution would be to just have a minimalized "Indiana Server
Edition" that is like FreeBSD, Ubuntu Server, and OpenBSD in that it comes
without X-windows installed by default (and therefore isn't affected by all
these difficult but necessary X-windows bugs), which is something I've been
agitating in favor of for over a year now.