> > However, the open source version of the QQ client
> is known to have limited features (though it should
> be good enough for inclusion in OpenSolaris).  But as
> I am sure you are aware, Tencent actually provides QQ
> clients for various platforms, including Linux.  Most
> Linux distros avoid the proprietary Tencent version,
> and I was hoping that perhaps we can sweet talk
> Tencent into writing a Solaris version.
>
> Perhaps, if it fits Tencent's business interests.
>
> Ginn

For the benefit of those on this forum who never heard of QQ, I am quoting a
comment from Ada Li, one of Sun's (probably "former") employees. (QQ has almost
one billion accounts--though "only" 300 million active users.  It is most
popular among college students.)

"If you don't know QQ in China, you are the person in Mars."

http://blogs.sun.com/adali/entry/company_visit_tencent_qq

I have a couple of acquaintances in Tencent management.  Wrt the motto of "only
the paranoid survive", they are more Andy Grove than Andy Grove (as are many
Shenzhen companies).  The words I got from them are they would love to have QQ
client included in Sun's LiveCD.  The fact that a couple of Tencent's
developers attended Sun's Developer Day in Shenzhen (about two years ago?) and
came out with a very good impression, certainly helped.

Any effort will probably turn out fruitless anyway, and I hate to revisit this
issue.