I thought Android uses the Dalvik VM and not Java VM?

http://developer.android.com/guide/basics/what-is-android.html

based on this quote from the URL:
-----
Android Runtime

Android includes a set of core libraries that provides most of the
functionality available in the core libraries of the Java programming language.

Every Android application runs in its own process, with its own instance of the
Dalvik virtual machine. Dalvik has been written so that a device can run
multiple VMs efficiently. The Dalvik VM executes files in the Dalvik Executable
(.dex) format which is optimized for minimal memory footprint. The VM is
register-based, and runs classes compiled by a Java language compiler that have
been transformed into the .dex format by the included "dx" tool.

The Dalvik VM relies on the Linux kernel for underlying functionality such as
threading and low-level memory management.

------

That doesn't sound too good to me, unless I've misunderstood something?