On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 6:16 AM, Ron Mexico <ronmex...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> I have a storage server running on snv_129. When trying to reboot my server
> it was stuck in the perpetual loop of the happy face boot screen. After
> trying to boot in single-user mode, I got this error message:
>
> WARNING: The following lines in / differ from the boot archive:
>        changed /etc/devices/devid_cache
>        changed /etc/name_to_major
>        changed /etc/path_to_inst
>
> The recommended action is to reboot to the failsafe archive to correct the
> above inconsistency. To accomplish this, on a GRUB-based platform, reboot and
> select the "Solaris Failsafe" option from the boot menu. On an OBP-based
> platform, reboot then type "boot -F failsafe". Then follow the prompts to
> update your boot archive. Alternative, to continue booting at your own risk,
> you may clear the service by running: "svcadm clear system/boot-archive".
>
> Mar 19 20:50:01 svc.startd[9]: svc:/system/boot-archive:default: Method
> "/lib/svc/method/boot-archive" failed with exit status 95.
> Mar 19 20:50:01 svc.startd[9]: system/boot-archive:default failed fatal:
> transitioned to maintenance (see 'sacs -xv' for details)
> Requesting System Maintenance Mode
> (See /lib/svc/share/README for more information.)
> Console login services cannot run.
>
> Problem is, 2009.06 doesn't have a failsafe boot option.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction? Mucho thanks!

Hello, they want, that you boot from LiveCD.
This is known and was discussed 1000 times, but they see no reason to
add the old failsafe boot option *now*. They say, that things have
changed since SXCE and bla foo, that something more sophisticated will
come, ...    some day, maybe.

They say, that the LiveCD is the modern failsafe boot option, only
much much better.

Ok, except that the CD boot is much slower.
Plus the user needs to be familiar with zfs commands and
bootadm update-archive [-vn] [-R altroot [-p platform>]]

This makes it a much worse solution, than the old failsafe option.
The LiveCD boot is always good and excellent to have, with all its
much more advanced technical capabilities.
But IMO it does not replace the failsafe bootarchive.

Ok, here your steps:

#0) boot off LiveCD (single user mode is enough, there you can
directly login as root user, rather than just as jack and its root
role / pw: root:opensolaris and jack:jack).
#1)
zpool import      (this shows you importable pools)

then

zpool import -f -R /mnt/foo  rpool    (replace rpool with your pool name)
#2) update-archive -R /mnt/foo  rpool
(Im not sure right now, if you now get a complaint, that no /boot is
there / then you need to mount the right zfs by first changing the
mountpoint with zfs set mountpoint=/xyz.)

%martin