Thanks for that explanation of why there is no failsafe boot option for
OpenSolaris. I had wondered about that, since I'd seen it in Solaris
Nevada/Express.

> Ok, except that the CD boot is much slower.

Why is that a problem? Why should one worry about the boot time for a rescue
procedure? Most users of OpenSolaris are unlikely to ever need to employ such a
procedure.

> Plus the user needs to be familiar with zfs commands and bootadm
> update-archive [-vn] [-R altroot [-p platform>]]

Shouldn't the user be familiar with these things?(I am assuming that the
necessary documentation is readily available on the Web.) After all, if a user
wants to run an OS without knowing how to administer it, he should use Windows
or Ubuntu or OpenSUSE, for example.