bsd wrote:
If the quote you printed is accurate "...some features of its Oracle Solaris will
not appear in OpenSolaris..." is right, then don't you have it wrong when you say
that was Sun's position?

I thought OpenSolaris was the development branch of Solaris, and new
technologies, such as Crossbow, may not make it into the Solaris releases.
Only partially correct - OpenSolaris is indeed the development branch of Solaris, and not all technologies in OpenSolaris will be backported to the CURRENT Solaris release (e.g. Solaris 10). When Solaris Next makes its appearance, it will be a /superset/ of a snapshot of OpenSolaris.

My take on the quote is Oracle is developing Solaris independently of
OpenSolaris and they don't plan to introduce some of those features into
OpenSolaris.
That take is completely wrong, and made from whole cloth speculation.
Why would Oracle have a development team for Solaris independent of
OpenSolaris, when OpenSolaris is supposed to be the development branch for new
technologies that will be adopted into Solaris?

We /had/ this entire discussion a couple of months ago. Go look it up in the archives.

Solaris Next (likely "Solaris 11") will NOT simply be a stabilized build of OpenSolaris. I.e. it won't be something like OpenSolaris 2010.03 renamed.

There /will/ be certain items which CANNOT be opened which will be included in Solaris Next, though that list is shrinking rapidly. This is currently (and has always been) the case. Certain drivers are things that come to mind right now.

Also, certain projects that are deemed "non-core value-add" will be kept closed. As everyone else points out, a chunk of the Fishworks stuff (the GUI and some management tools for the Storage 7000 line) is a good example. I would fully expect that similar items are likewise un-opened. That is, I highly expect that stuff which helps Oracle build a unique appliance be kept to themselves. None of this is really "core" OpenSolaris by any stretch. I see no indications that things such as Crossbow or ZFS would ever be excluded from OpenSolaris. Exclusions are almost certainly things further up the software stack, and more properly term "applications" than "operating system components".

Finally, despite what Microsoft has been saying for awhile, not everything is the "Operating System". Solaris Next is really a bundle of related software shipped together - remember when the various iPlanet products were included in the Solaris media kit? They weren't Open at the time and could hardly be called part of the OS; I would expect similar bundling to occur when Solaris Next appears.

Again, this is policy isn't new to Oracle, and really doesn't impact the viability or value of OpenSolaris.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support