You (Edward Ned Harvey) wrote:
> > From: opensolaris-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:opensolaris-
> > discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of jay krik
> >
> > I was under the impression Open Solaris was the free version of
> > Solaris. The one where the community helps develop future releases of
> > Solaris, and Solaris was the commercial product that cost money to
> > obtain.
>
> Long story short, stuff has changed many times.  The present state of
> affairs:  Solaris 10 is only free for 30 days evaluation.  This is a very
> recent change (what, 2 weeks ago?) so you may still find documentation
> saying it's free.  But just go try to download it, and read what's put in
> front of your face.  You should easily see it's for 30 day eval.  You should
> also discover some obstacle to purchasing it, even if you want to.  Because
> they want you to buy it on Sun hardware, or from a huge name reseller, such
> as Dell or HP or IBM.  Solaris 10 is also known as SunOS 5.10.  Opensolaris
> is free.  It is also known as SunOS 5.11.  Some day, we don't know when,
> opensolaris should become Solaris 11.
>
> Opensolaris is far advanced beyond solaris 10.  There are many feature
> additions and bug fixes in opensolaris which are lagging significantly in
> solaris.  Even if you go to the latest developer build of opensolaris, there
> are many feature additions and bugfixes which are not available in the
> latest opensolaris release 2009.06 (which is considered old now.)
>
> My personal advice is to go with the latest developer build of opensolaris,
> from http://genunix.org .  You will not find that it's unstable or buggy, as
> people often expect when they hear the word "latest."

Some small corrections, if I'm not mistaken:

It's not 30, but 90 days...

And you're talking about the OpenSolaris.COM binary distribution identifing
itself as SunOS 5.11... Don't know, if that applies to Nexenta, Schillix,
Belenix et.al...

And: NO, OpenSolaris.COM will NOT become Solaris 11. The next Version of
Solaris will be BASED upon the source code on OpenSolaris.ORG, but, again, as
you can NOT build the binary distribution, currently known as OpenSolaris.COM
directly from the sources (as some pieces are missing, like the nVIDIA display
driver, etc.!), so will it be for the next version of Solaris.

And, yes, I agree: grab the latest from http://genuinx.org, it's the best,
you can get currently!

        Matthias
--
Matthias Pfützner | Tel.: +49 700 PFUETZNER      | I report bugs to Sun and
Lichtenbergstr.73 | mailto:matth...@pfuetzner.de | when I'm not ignored, I'm