On 14/04/2010 20:55, Ben wrote:

Alan, I agree with everything you say.  The problem is, as everyone
keeps saying, that the community that isn't attached to the company
knows nothing about what's going on.  It's a tad frustrating getting
nothing from Oracle about the next release.

Slightly tangential, but it sounds like the Glassfish community found themselves in a similar situation recently. However, Oracle just released a roadmap that covers the future of both their commercial and open source offering:

<http://blogs.sun.com/theaquarium/entry/replays_for_glassfish_roadmap_now>

I have no insight into whether Oracle will be doing something similar for Solaris/OpenSolaris. But it does suggest that Oracle's relative silence during this transitional period is neither unique to OpenSolaris, nor any indicator of its future plans for the project.

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Oracle Corporation, Ireland
mailto:calum.benson at oracle.com      Solaris Desktop Group

Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Oracle Corp.