On 04-15-10, "C. Bergström" <codest...@osunix.org> wrote:
Dennis Clarke wrote:

>Regarding the i18n code, do we have any sort of detailed specs on it such that
>a motivated programmer could sit down with a stack of POSIX books and just
>begin to hammer it out from first principals? I mean, without doing something
>obscene like reverse engineering or simple disassembly.
>
>Dennis
>ps: sorry about the lack of message indenting but Sun Convergence isn't doing
>that for me this morning. Thankfully it does not break maillist threads.

Dennis

The task is very clear..

#1 Take the closed bin.. extract.. run objdump on it to determine the symbol(s)
(which will probably match the name of the file) This is an interface to a
POSIX compliant function as you realize..
#2 Take Citrus from NetBSD and see how they implemented it.  (In many cases it
will be trivial)
#3 QA/fix bugs.. (Simply build a static archive like they do and see if it
works as a suitable drop-in replacement)

Steps 1-2 shouldn't take long tbh and the POSIX books are probably not even
required if the NetBSD compatibility can be believed.

-----------

We think alike.

By the way, I did get your other message and have it printed and stuck to my
office wall here. I'll try to get back to you on that later but today I am in
meetings. In fact, I have to go into the datacenter of a major two letter car
manufacturer and calm the nerves of the IT director there. He is pretty
concerned about Solaris right now and he runs on piles of Sun gear all setup by
me years and years ago. So, I can tell you that the zillion dollar datacenters
are nervous.  No kidding.

This whole transition has made waves everywhere and I really don't like it when
it hits my revenue streams. Pun intended.

I hope to catch up with you later.

Dennis