You (Stephen Bunn) wrote:
> Second.. and to be frank; This is what upsets most of us that are
> upset. The arrogance in your (and Oracle's) attitude.

I'm not arrogant. Oracle might be, can't judge...

> You seem to be
> operating under the assumption that Open/Solaris is the only game in
> town and that we all just have to 'get used to' the new way that Oracle
> is doing things.  This couldn't be further from the truth.  The fact is
> that at least in my shop it has been a somewhat uphill fight to keep
> Open/Solaris in operation.  This, however, isn't about abandoning ship
> and choosing a different product (which is easy to do).

We all know, that Solaris isn't the only game in town. That's why Larry did
state, on WSJ ads, over and over again: "We're in it to win it" or like:
"We're hiring Solaris engineers" or "Solaris is the best OS on the planet".

So, ask yourself a simple question:

        Why do you again and again request (on the totally wrong mailing
        lists!) further assurance from Oracle, for what Oracle had already
        made clear publicly over and over again?

If you need that, ask your Sales Rep to get Oracle upper management to you to
confirm that again to you in a private sales meeting.

Asking it HERE is waste of time.

So, if you choose a different route than sticking with Solaris, ask yourself,
WHY you are doing so. Where does that fear come from? Who created that fear?
Why are you "leaving ship" as you stated above?

And then look at the publicly available infos issued by top Oracle people on
their commitment to Sparc, Solaris and Sun.

And again ask yourself: "Might it be, I'm over-reacting?"

> You can include whatever fuzzy business logic you can dream
> up about how from a business stand point it all makes perfect sense. It
> doesn't change the fact that there are several customers, users,
> hackers, and enthusiasts that are not satisfied with the communication
> from Oracle.

In communication theory there's always a two-way problem: Sender and
receiver. Currently we see the receiver end complaining. So, simply put:
Perhaps the receiving end has a problem induced by itself?

I'm not stating that you're wrong. I'm asking to re-consider your motivations
to "abandon ship" by looking at the two sides. One changes (Sun/Oracle), one
complains (some customers, users, hackers, enthusiasts).

In communication theory there are two possible solutions to the communication
problem: Change sender or change receiver.

>From your point, it seems, that sadly, it's the receiver that needs to
change. I'll assure you, that also the sender side is changing.

So, again, and again, I'll ask you: Do not over-react, re-assert your decision
taking paths, and take into account, that the source of information changed,
which does not necessarily imply that the information changed. It might simply
be transmitted in a different way. Or simply not been re-transmitted, as it
had already been transmitted multiple times...

> How that effects Oracle's bottom line and the evolution
> and adoption of Open/Solaris remains to be seen.  One thing that is
> perfectly clear is that making the Open/Solaris use case in my
> situation is becoming increasingly difficult.  I could be alone, but I
> doubt it.

I totally understand that, and that's, why I simply ask to stay calm, try to
extract assurance from what's already out there, and ask for further assurance
from those that can provide it, the sales reps...

> -- Stephen

        Matthias
--
Matthias Pfützner | Tel.: +49 700 PFUETZNER      | Die Erschaffung eines
Lichtenbergstr.73 | mailto:matth...@pfuetzner.de | Kunstwerkes kann niemals