This is how Oracle treats open communities and projects. Will OGB intervene?

David

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dave Johnson <dave.johnson.inqu...@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:44 PM
Subject: Re: [osol-discuss] [desktop-discuss] 2010.03, when will it be
available?
To: "Richard L. Hamilton" <rlha...@smart.net>
Cc: opensolaris-discuss@opensolaris.org, indiana-disc...@opensolaris.org

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Richard L. Hamilton <rlha...@smart.net> wrote:
>> Slide 22 is also very interesting and gives me a lot
>> of reassurance:
>>
>> OpenSolaris
>> • Oracle will continue to make OpenSolaris available
>> as open source and
>> Oracle will continue to actively support and
>> participate in the
>> OpenSolaris community
>> • Oracle is investing more in Solaris than Sun did
>> prior to the
>> acquisition, and will continue to contribute
>> innovative technologies to
>> OpenSolaris, as Oracle already does for many other
>> open source projects
>>
>> Coming from Oracle there's no longer any doubt that
>> it will be alright.
>> I'm going to be an OpenSolairs user for quite some
>> time to come. ;-)
>
> While that presentation was indeed reassuring, from the
> reactions I've seen so far, many seem to hope that
> "participate in the OpenSolaris community" would include
> less restrictive communication than it appears is allowed
> by the current application of their policies to OpenSolaris.
>
> I see open source plus community meaning, when it wouldn't
> compromise competitive information about a pending product,
> that the development process and activity is also open, to include
> some information about _planned_ components thereof, as well.
>
> One of the many reasons for more open communication is that
> outside contributors should be entitled to a little courtesy when
> their work is affected (look at ksh93-discuss to see a case of that).

Oracle doesn't want the command modernisation and ksh93 projects. They
had too much community influence in the past, are too independent and
Oracle wants to replace the Solaris commands in usr/bin with GNU
commands. Oracle has already decided that in February and now try to
get rid of the projects by denying them repository access.
The projects are dead. There is enough evidence what Oracle is planning.

Dave