> Greetings,
>
> I've been reading a lot of the threads on here
> about the future of opensolaris, and it seems that
> there *might* be a future, depending on whose post
> you read. While I truly hope for that, I would like
> a definitive answer, or at least one I could work
>  off of in the future.
>
> Right now, my organization would like to implement
> a long-term data storage solution (particularly with
> the advantages of ZFS (dedup, snapshotting, ease of
>  management, etc).
>
> Given the current circumstances with Oracle, and
> the lack of mostly 'official' information, we've
> begun to reach the point where we might decide to
> implement this service as a linux based solution,
> and leverage a linux filesystem, especially since
> the hardware is coming very soon, and we need to get
>  working on it.
>
> Now, the idea right now might be to leverage a
> linux solution in the short term until everything is
> 'worked out' with opensolaris/solaris, with the
> possibility of moving to a better platform long-term.
> So here's my question:
>
> What should be expected out of opensolaris (or
> even solaris) in the future? I realize the
> possibility of forking the project has been
> discussed, but also there has been information that
> internal builds are being worked on, etc. Would it
> be advantageous to *wait* for an official answer
> from Oracle, as well as watch to see what happens
>  with opensolaris?
>
> The issue is enterprise backing, because if we're
> going to spend money on hardware, we'd like to have
> enterprise support/etc. Given that ZFS dedup and
> other performance (and bug) fixes won't be out until
> Solaris 11/Next/whateverthehellORaclewantstocallit,
>  would it be a smart bet to stick around and wait?
>
> PS: sorry about starting another thread about this,
> but some of the threads with similar questions have
> turned into semantics, flame wars, FUD, etc, and all
> I'd like to see is a least the opinion of a few
> individuals with some actual insight on the
> matter...
>
> Thanks, I appreciate it; stay thristy...

You may want to show this document, I think it was handed out at Oracle's
presentations, to your IT manager. It  reveals some of Oracle's plans about the
future of the Solaris eco-system. here is an excerpt from slides 23 and 24:

  Oracle will continue to make OpenSolaris
  available as open source.

OpenSolaris
– Next update 1st half CY2010
– Update focus:
   • Packaging and installation
   • Continued enhancements to networking and
     virtualization

http://developers.sun.ru/techdays2010/reports/OracleSolarisTrack/TD_STP_OracleSolarisFuture_Roberts.pdf