Greetings,

   I've been reading a lot of the threads on here about the future of
opensolaris, and it seems that there *might* be a future, depending on whose
post you read. While I truly hope for that, I would like a definitive answer,
or at least one I could work off of in the future.

  Right now, my organization would like to implement a long-term data storage
solution (particularly with the advantages of ZFS (dedup, snapshotting, ease of
management, etc).

  Given the current circumstances with Oracle, and the lack of mostly
'official' information, we've begun to reach the point where we might decide to
implement this service as a linux based solution, and leverage a linux
filesystem, especially since the hardware is coming very soon, and we need to
get working on it.

  Now, the idea right now might be to leverage a linux solution in the short
term until everything is 'worked out' with opensolaris/solaris, with the
possibility of moving to a better platform long-term. So here's my question:

   What should be expected out of opensolaris (or even solaris) in the future?
I realize the possibility of forking the project has been discussed, but also
there has been information that internal builds are being worked on, etc. Would
it be advantageous to *wait* for an official answer from Oracle, as well as
watch to see what happens with opensolaris?

 The issue is enterprise backing, because if we're going to spend money on
hardware, we'd like to have enterprise support/etc. Given that ZFS dedup and
other performance (and bug) fixes won't be out until Solaris
11/Next/whateverthehellORaclewantstocallit, would it be a smart bet to stick
around and wait?

PS: sorry about starting another thread about this, but some of the threads
with similar questions have turned into semantics, flame wars, FUD, etc, and
all I'd like to see is a least the opinion of a few individuals with some
actual insight on the matter...

Thanks, I appreciate it; stay thristy...