I was thinking of getting feedback on window managers and licensing, but I
wasn't thinking so many threads would accumulate! :-) This is getting
interesting....

Getting back to an original comment--apparently, yes, OpenSolaris does indeed
use the GRUB bootloader--I noted that upon first using OpenSolaris. For any
'thinking about OpenSolaris' users out there, I might add I first thought
OpenSolaris was CDDL, period--it's not, as everyone is well aware.
As far as I know, GRUB (maybe LILO) are bootloaders that just work with
OpenSolaris. Booting without these designed-for-Linux bootloaders would be near
impossible just from seeing the dependence OpenSolaris has on other GPL
programs and scripts. If even an end user looks under the Package Manager, it
becomes obvious OpenSolaris sorta borrows from Linux, or at least, it looks
that way. Not saying it does! :)

I'm sorta looking for an open source system without an overhaul of GPL stuff,
and I didn't like the fact Linux = GPL. Just switched to OpenSolaris recently,
by the way. Personally, the CDDL and the MIT are *good* licenses. I've tried
the Haiku alpha release... the support for netbooks + netbooks using the
Internet isn't fully developed yet.

I've read the Wikipedia articles on window managers, and I'm familiar with
lightweight window managers from Linux. In my opinion, if you have to, use KDE
instead of GNOME. KDE 3, at least, is built with more customizibility--don't
ask what happened to KDE 4. I've used Fluxbox and twm (both under the MIT), but
wouldn't installing one of these lightweight managers pull the plug on advanced
GUI features of OpenSolaris?

GNOME obviously is to be left alone or contributed to... and stripping out
GNOME to put in another window manager would most likely leave core features of
OpenSolaris non-operational. As PC said to his bodyguard, I'm coming to a sad
realization.... :)

Thanks for the comments so far. This is becoming intriguing as it goes on.