On 6/19/2010 9:08 AM, Mark Kaiman wrote:
I dont think its at all clear that OpenSolaris (or Solaris for that matter!)
has a future under Oracle. They're as bad as Apple. Secretive. Uncommunicative.
Leaving customers in the dark.

Time to jump ship to Ubuntu?

It's been made *very* clear that Oracle will continue with Solaris and OpenSolaris. Go read the *actual* documents (and remember, Oracle often says "Solaris" and means "Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris"), not the poor interpretations that pass as "fact" floating around here. Oracle has been very explicit that they're continuing to develop Solaris/OpenSolaris for both x64 and SPARC.

The bigger question is whether you will be able to buy Solaris support for anything other than Sun-brand hardware. That's an unknown for the bigger picture.

I would also heartily recommend *against* Ubuntu as a replacement Linux server OS. RHEL, SLES, or possibly Debian, but Ubuntu is doing all the wrong things to take them seriously as a Server OS.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support