Edward Martinez <mindbende...@live.com> wrote:

> I think Oracle is going to keep it simple; Solaris is for the enterprise and
> Opensolaris is a science project. And since oracle is doing so well selling
> solaris and other software to the enterprise, why release new opensolaris
> now? when business is booming, I think they will release it when they see
> fit. their main objective is bringing in revenue and justifying the money
> they payed for SUN and they are doing well at that.

Given the fact that Sun did rename "Indiana" to "Opensolaris" against the will
of the community and given the fact that Sun did kill Solaris SXCE in January,
I see no "product" Solaris anymore that could be put on the market.

Indiana is a product that has been taylored to the Linux users that do not
loike to change from Linux to Solaris, therefore Indiana is a product for no
users.

Solaris SXCE was a product based on the philosophy and merits of UNIX and this
is why paying customers did select Sun hardware for their enterprise. Solaris 10
still exists but it is apparently a dead end. If Oracle likes to keep the Sun
based business profitable, Oracle needs to correct wrong decisions from the
past.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin