> > I remember the death of commodore and the Amiga. I
> > was a avid user of the Amiga and hung on month
> after
> > month as promises were made but nothing ever came
> of
> > them. Open Solaris reminds me of that very painful
> > time and it is a shame.
> > A simple explanation of why the delay is not too
> > much to ask! Why is the next release being
> delayed?
> >
> > nyone from Oracle care to comment on this most
> simple
> > question? Before Oracle when there was a two week
> > delay in the next release the developers felt
> > compelled to explain what the delay is. Now the
> same
> > people don't want to say anything.
> > If development is not going to progress just shut
> > the whole thing down. Stop stringing us along and
> >  shut it down.
>
> Distinction: development progresses; OpenSolaris the
> _codebase_ has
> progressed considerably since the last release of
> OpenSolaris the _distro_.
> Unfortunately, with the codebase and distro having
> the same name, people
> tend to conclude that nothing is happening just
> because there's nothing new
> they can simply download and install.
>
> As to communication:
>
> Before Oracle, developers were encouraged to talk
> about anything
> that wasn't proprietary.
>
> Now, they're not supposed to talk about anything that
> might have
> any bearing on a future product without authorization
> from on high.
>
> I want the developers to keep their jobs...so they've
> got to play by the
> rules.
>
> But as to whoever didn't bother thinking enough to
> modify that
> policy for open-source development, their career I'd
> like to see meet
> a fate analogous to that of the life of the character
> "Morden" on B5.
> (and I'd wave too, if not quite in such a sissy way)
>
> So much FUD, and a little less silence would put it
> to rest!
>
> OTOH, the first half of the year isn't over for two
> (or three, counting days)
> more days yet.  Maybe they just don't feel obliged to
> repeat themselves
> often enough to kill the FUD.  We'll see...

Oracle webcast is on @10:00 PDT. If you haven't subscribed, do it now. The link
I see is:

https://event.on24.com/eventRegistration/EventLobbyServlet?target=registration.jsp&eventid=214702&sessionid=1&key=292835FC0FC2AFAD25A9273BA0F489FF&sourcepage=register

The blurb does not mention Opensolaris specifically, but it is difficult to
imagine not being discussed at all:

View our Launch Webcast to learn more about Oracle’s new comprehensive line of
powerful x86 systems ranging from blades and rackmount servers to networking
systems based on Intel's Xeon 5600 and 7500 processors.

These highly optimized systems are complete, open, and integrated across the
entire stack to run a mix of demanding Oracle and non-Oracle enterprise
workloads across a cluster of servers. Managed and supported as a single
system, these new products offer the best scalability and performance in the
industry, with the least amount of complexity.

Join John Fowler, Executive VP and learn how you can benefit from the next
generation of complete, open and integrated enterprise-class x86 systems.

Chavdar