[...]
> This is what you get when you register for the event
> with a host running OpenSolaris:
> Test Your System
>
> Operating System              Failed          We have detected that
> your operating system does not meet the optimal
> webcast specifications for listening to and/or
> viewing webcasts. We recommend the following
> operating systems:
> Windows XP SP2, and Mac OS X 10.4.
> Please note that users with older versions of Windows
> (Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 95),
> Mac, Linux, and Unix operating systems may or may not
> experience difficulties listening to and/or viewing
> webcasts. Please contact your network administrator
> regarding any operating system upgrades.

That's not the only way in which the tests are stupid.  On a Mac,
it wants you to use Firefox, even though current Safari (native browser)
is perfectly capable of handling tough AJAX content and of using a Flash
plugin if installed.

Unless the site enforces those tests when the webcast runs, I would hope
it would work on pretty much anything with a recent Flash plugin.

I don't think this is a new problem with Oracle though; I recall Sun
also having web content that either didn't work with Solaris desktops
or at least discouraged their use for viewing it.  For such Solaris desktop
users as exist (x86, Sun Ray, or one no-longer made but still supported SPARC
desktop model, not to mention all those of us using older SPARCs), that's darn
annoying _and_ not good advertising.  I get that they want to be viewable,
and _first_ mention that they are, by the most common desktops
(Windows, Mac OS X), but it's nuts not to include their own
(Solaris and Linux) as well, given that they can probably handle it fine,
and it wouldn't take much extra work on the part of the website developers
to confirm that.