> From: opensolaris-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:opensolaris-
> discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Gary
>
> If one purchases a Solaris 10 DVD set from Oracle, they have a valid
> license.  Does that permit one to download patches?

You mean the media pack for $20?  That's not necessary, nor does it provide
a license or entitlement for updates.  That's just so you don't have to
download the installation media.

If you read the license terms of the download, you'll see there are several
different ways to have entitlement.  90 day eval, personal use, educational
use, commercial use ... etc.  What's not totally clear is how to *obtain*
those entitlements.  Also, even if you somehow obtain one of these free
entitlements, they don't necessarily give you access to updates.  I suspect
they're just not organized to provide entitlements for personal use and so
forth.

If you want a commercial entitlement, the path is clear.  Pay for the
support subscription.  It's approx $450/yr, or $1200 for 3yrs.