In my 20 years of professional UNIX work experience, working for large
enterprises, never have I had to get a special patch from IBM, SUN, Novell, Red
Hat, to fix an operating system problem.

Were patches needed, yes, but nothing had to be done special just for the
companies I worked.  Support generally is able to tell you which patch or
patches are needed, faster than one can figure out themselves.

In terms of support, my best experiences have been IBM and SUN while Red Hat
and Novell are the worst.