On 08/13/10 10:29 PM, Edward Martinez wrote:
So Oracle has pulled the plug.

That makes for a really black Friday 13th down this
end of the planet.

Where too from here ?

Could the community rally togeather and actually
release an OpenSolaris 2010 ?

Well I believe now Illumos has a six month window to accomplish its task and come out with some sort of distro. Because I believe if it's later and Oracle releases a binary of Solaris 11 Express it will be much harder to get more supporters.

We have the bits that it was to be in 134, but do we
have the desire ?

Can the OpenSolaris name remain ?

For a new name .. comOS (community OpenSolaris)

or maybe just a OpenSolaris 2010-comOS

Mark.
i agree snv_134 can still be used for a long time, that is why I'm thinking
about bootstrappng NetBSD's pkgsrc onto snv_134, because i  think  IPS repos
might soon  disapper and,  I  recommend  downloading anthor snv134 and or
2009.06  isos stored  them in a saver, incase the install discs get ruin
because the isos may get removed.

I don't think the IPS repos will disappear soon. In that memo it was stated they are going to try to get a migration path from Opensolaris to Solaris 11 Express. So until that bridge is built, I believe they will keep the current repo going.

Paul