OK, someone 'splain me somethin'....

I get how Solaris and OpenSolaris work, what packages are, IPS, how to install
stuff, and all that.  Been doing it for a couple decades.  And by the way, I'm
still holding out hope for the Solaris 11 developer release to effectively
replace OpenSolaris.  But I digress.

I don't understand much about Linux, so I'm very confused at how Nexenta and
StormOS are "based on Ubuntu", as the Nexenta web site says.  It seems to me
it's based on (Open)Solaris.  What exactly is the tie-in with Ubuntu and/or
Linux?  I find this very confusing.

Thanks, and please don't just point me to one of their web pages--that's
already why I'm confused.